Monday 12 March 2012

Brown Rice and Barley with Miso.

Hmm..For some odd reason today seemed like a perfect day for sandwhiches. The sun was gleaming and the temperature was just nice. About 9 degrees and not too cold or too warm either. I could feel the warmth from the rays of sunlight! Usually, I'd detest it back home but over here, I began to learn to appreciate it more. Hehe
So, I just had a simple cheese spread and cucumber sandwiches with tomatoes. I would like to add these red lush tomatoes in my sandwiches, but these are thinner slices despite being medium *Hovis brand..pfft Kingsmill is so much better*  I wouldn't want my sandwiches to end up soggy and wet. 







And for dinner, I presoaked some barley after lunch before heading to lectures in my rice cooker on warm mode. And who'd expect it would be cooked by the time I came back. Haha, so I just needed to add another half portion of brown rice into it with some extra water and I'm done! But with the time I had in my hands with my burning curiosity to experiment, I did something extra. Added chopped ginger and garlic with some dried scallops for extra flavour. Then I let the cooker do its wonders. In about 45minutes the barley rice was done! And in just the right proportion for me too~

As my side, I'm too lazy to do anything fancy than soup since I wanna feel fuller longer, it's best to go with the liquids. So, I revamped yesterday's miso soup by adding some extra luxurious ingredients like Japanese White Button Mushrooms, some dried prawns and dried squid. As well as the usual, kelp, leeks and carrots. Made the soup with miso paste and TA-DA~ Yummy almost authentic miso soup. Would be way better with some tofu in it. *checks that on shopping list for the end of the week*














No comments:

Post a Comment