Saturday 7 January 2012

Steamed Mantou

My first bread making attempt in the UK was utterly a disaster and disappointing to swallow. The dough was over-kneaded and the bread turned out to be very biscuit-like. Might post it up one day when I got nothing better to do. My red bean bun turned out more like red bean biscuit with fillings. Not one of my proudest moments I'm afraid.

Anywho, I took the measurements by half this time around since I'm only baking for myself. Just like my successful attempt at home, using just 1 cup of flour with yeast, sugar and some salt I've managed to pull through and a beautiful dough was formed! Proves to show I don't have the stamina to knead more than a cup of flour. How embarrassing..But bakeries use machines to bake anyway!
Took loads of photos, so many that I may have to continue this in a another post.

So here is the first part of my bread making attempt! From the first few stages..MAESTRO! *entrance music begins, red royal curtains open dramatically*

Mixing the flour with yeast, sugar and some salt with water bit by bit and mixing it to gradually form a sticky dough.



 Sticky dough kneaded on a floured surface..until form a smooth consistency






 Dough greased in oil with the bowl oiled as well. Then covered to proof for at least 45min to 1 hour in a warm place. I placed my mine next to the heater.



Opened my bowl after an hour, my dough doubled in size and has grown. IT IS ALIVE~


 To be continued..

No comments:

Post a Comment